How to Feel like You’re in Your 20s When You’re Not
Our 20’s seem to slip away from us way too quickly. Those are the years when we have the most energy and our bodies are in peak shape. As we age, our bodies experience age-related wear and tear. However, there are things you can do to maintain your youth and keep yourself in tip-top shape. Here are some ways to feel like you’re in your 20s even when you’re not anymore:
Take Your Vitamins
We don’t always get enough or adequate nutrition from the foods we eat. This is where vitamins can come in to help. Supplements provide the important vitamins and nutrients that we may be lacking. Especially important vitamins are Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Iron, and Creatine.
- Vitamin D is needed for the proper absorption of Calcium. Both Vitamin D and Calcium are needed for bone health. However, we lose some of our ability to make Vitamin D as we age. So, supplementation is important to keep our bones healthy and strong.
- Vitamin B12 is important because it transforms the food we eat into energy for our cells. B12 is found naturally in meat, fish, and dairy. Certain people like vegans, older adults, and people with gastrointestinal disorders like Chron’s disease tend to be deficient in B12. So, it is important to supplement. Otherwise, you are more likely to be left feeling tired as your cells are unable to make the energy they need to function.
- Iron enables red blood cells to effectively take oxygen to our tissues. It is found mostly in meat and seafood. People who don’t eat meat like vegans and vegetarians need iron supplements. Being deficient in iron makes one anemic. Symptoms of anemia include feeling tired, short of breath, and having heart palpitations.
- Creatine is found in meat, pork, poultry, and fish. It is a quick energy source for high-intensity activities like shot put, jumping, sprinting, and weightlifting. These exercises are usually short duration exercises and require quick bursts of energy. Creatine is also available in supplement form. Research shows that creatine supplements improve one’s strength and a person’s bench press by 5%. Although it is so important to take supplements, remember that not all supplements are created equal. It is also important to take high-quality supplements from trusted brands.Have Better NutritionHaving good nutrition is important for our overall health and wellness. Protein and Calcium are especially important nutrients to include in our diets and meals as we exit our 20’s and beyond.
- Protein is essential because it reduces the loss of muscles mass and strength as we age. Research shows that the average adult loses 3-8% of muscle mass every decade after the age of 30.
- Calcium is also important because humans lose the ability to absorb Calcium as they age. Calcium and Vitamin D are important because they support bone health. They also reduce the risk of fracture. Other important nutrients are potassium, Omega-3 fatty acid, and magnesium.
Get Enough Sleep
Getting enough sleep is crucial. Too little sleep can leave you feeling tired. Too little sleep also reduces your body’s ability to heal itself. Most adults between 18- and 60-years old need 7 or more hours of sleep each day to feel well-rested. Those younger tend to sleep more. However, as we age, we typically need much less sleep.
Weight training has awesome benefits for women. It improves fat loss and the number of calories you burn. It also helps with your mood and lowers your stress levels because of the release of endorphins. Weight training also improves your athletic performance and reduces your risk of heart disease and diabetes. It also improves your strength, without the risk of added bulk. Many women are scared to do weight training because they think that it will make them bulky. However, weight training doesn’t necessarily make women bulky. Weight training also reduces your risk of injury and your chances of getting back pain.
Practice Good Skincare
Lastly, good skin care is crucial for maintaining a youthful appearance. Your face is the first thing that people see, so it is important to get a good skincare routine to keep your skin looking lustrous. Our skin can become thinner as we age. This reduces our ability to make Vitamin D using the cholesterol in our skin or from the sunlight. It is also important to drink enough water. Our bodies are 60% water. So, by drinking enough water, we keep our cells hydrated and we will in turn look younger longer.
Following these tips we can help us keep ourselves feeling like we’re in our 20’s even though we’re not. It is important to take care of yourself so that you can age gracefully and do the things you love to do for longer. We only get one body, so we must take care of it so that it can continue to take care of us.